|Areas of Expertise
- Influenza virus
- Molecular mechanism of interspecies transmission of the virus leading to influenza pandemics in humans
- Molecular pathogenesis of influenza in poultry and mammals
- Ebola virus
- Role of viral proteins in pathogenesis and viral replication
|| Yoshihiro Kawaoka's School of Veterinary Medicine Website
|Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- 9,254,318 - High titer recombinant influenza viruses for vaccines, issued February 2016.
- 9,222,118 - Screen for inhibitors of filovirus and uses therefor, issued December 2015.
- 9,157,096 - Reassortant influenza viruses for vaccines, issued October 2015.
- 9,109,013 - High titer recombinant influenza viruses with enhanced replication in vero cells, issued August 2015.
- 9,101,653 - Influenza viruses with mutant pb2 gene segment as live attenuated vaccines, issued August 2015.
|USPTO Published Applications
- 20160208223 - High titer recombinant influenza viruses for vaccines, published July 2016.
- 20160137987 - Recombinant influenza viruses for vaccines and gene therapy, published May 2016.
- 20160115518 - Screen for inhibitors of filovirus and uses therefor, published April 2016.
- 20160024479 - High titer recombinant influenza viruses with enhanced replication in vero cells, published January 2016.
- 20150368621 - Mutations that confer genetic stability to additional genes in influenza viruses, published December 2015.
- Ebola virus stability under hospital and environmental conditions. Westhoff Smith D, Hill-Batorski L, N'jai A, Eisfeld AJ, Neumann G, Halfmann P, Kawaoka Y. J Infect Dis. 2016 Oct 15;214(suppl 3):S142-S144.
- M2sr, a novel live single replication influenza virus vaccine, provides effective heterosubtypic protection in mice. Sarawar S, Hatta Y, Watanabe S, Dias P, Neumann G, Kawaoka Y, Bilsel P. Vaccine. 2016 Sep 30;34(42):5090-8. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2016.08.061. Epub 2016 Sep 3.
- Complete and incomplete genome packaging of influenza a and b viruses. Nakatsu S, Sagara H, Sakai-Tagawa Y, Sugaya N, Noda T, Kawaoka Y. MBio. 2016 Sep 6;7(5). pii: e01248-16. doi: 10.1128/mBio.01248-16.
- Antiviral susceptibility of influenza viruses isolated from patients pre- and post-administration of favipiravir. Takashita E, Ejima M, Ogawa R, Fujisaki S, Neumann G, Furuta Y, Kawaoka Y, Tashiro M, Odagiri T. Antiviral Res. 2016 Aug;132:170-7. doi: 10.1016/j.antiviral.2016.06.007. Epub 2016 Jun 16.
|Recent Artistic Works
- Shanghai Hile Biopharmaceutical Corp
- University of Tokyo, International Research Center of Infectious Diseases, Department of Special Pathogens, Microbiology and Immunology, Virology, Institute of Medical Science, Veterinary Microbiology
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Hong Kong, Centre of Influenza Research
- ERATO Infect Induced Host Responses Project
- University of Manitoba, National Microbiology Lab, Public Health Agency of Canada, Special Pathogens Program, Medical Microbiology
- Japan Science and Technology Agency, ERATO, Infectious Induced Host Responses Project
- Kobe University, International Center of Medical Research and Treatment
- National Institutes of Health, Laboratory of Virology, Rocky Mountain Veterinary Branch
- Airlangga University, Veterinary Medicine, Collaborating Research Center
|Address Line 1
|Address Line 2
||575 Science Drive
||B.S., Hokkaido University, Japan, Veterinary Medicine, 1978
||M.S., Hokkaido University, Japan, 1980
||Ph.D., Hokkaido University, Japan, 1983
||D.V.M., The Ministry of Agriculture and Fishery, Japan, 1978
|Technologies Available for Licensing
||Plasmids Encoding Avian Influenza Genes
Influenza Variant Grows Well in CHO Cells
Attenuated Viruses with Mutant Ion Channel Protein
Methods for Engineering Influenza Viruses to Carry Defined Mutations
Recombinant Influenza Vectors with a Pol II Promoter and Ribozymes for Vaccines and Gene Therapy
High Titer Recombinant Influenza Viruses for Vaccines and Gene Therapy
Reverse Genetics Approach for Generating Ebola Virus and Other Filoviruses from Cloned DNA
Replicating Influenza Mutants with Reduced Sialidase Activity
Cell Line for Evaluating Influenza Virus Sensitivity to NA Inhibitors
Efficient Generation of Influenza Virus with Adenoviral Vectors
Neuraminidase-Deficient Live Influenza Vaccine
Recombinant Influenza Viruses for Vaccines and Gene Therapy
Safer Ebola Virus and Vaccines
Improved Reverse Genetics Method to Produce Influenza Virus
Improved Production of Influenza Virus, Including H1N1, for Vaccine Manufacture
Attenuated Influenza Viruses for Development of Live Influenza Vaccine
High Titer Recombinant Influenza Viruses for Vaccines
Inhibitors of Ebola and Other Filoviruses
Safer Influenza Vaccine from Replication-Knock Out Virus