|Areas of Research Expertise
- Thin films
- Nanoscale properties of surfaces, interfaces, thin films, and dimensionally confined structures
- Atom-scale mechanisms of film growth: Group IV semiconductors, nano-strain engineering, silicon nanomembranes
- Relationship of nanostructure to localized electronic and optoelectronic properties, quantum dots
- Development of advanced instrumentation for growth and surface and interface studies, in particular diffraction, imaging, and scanned-probe microscopies
- Bioarrays and biomolecular surface modification
- Bioarray fabrication and detection methods
||Max Lagally's Department of Materials Science and Engineering Website
|Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- WARF, 2001-2020, Laboratory share of royalty and licensing - Professor Max G Lagally
- DOE, 2003-2016, Group IV nanomembranes, nanoribbons, and quantum dots: Processing characterization and novel devices
- NSF, 2013-2016, Ccollaborative research: Strain-tunable germanium nanomembrane lasers
- Boston University, 2014-2016, Group-IV interband and intersubband semiconductor lasers based on SiGe nanomembranes
- SysteMech, 2015-2016, Spatially controlled direct transfer printing of semiconductor components for high-performance flexible electronic devices
- 7,901,744 - RF plasma-enhanced deposition of fluorinated films, issued March 2011.
- 7,888,583 - Semiconductor nanowire thermoelectric materials and devices, and processes for producing same, issued February 2011.
- 7,858,876 - Graphite-based photovoltaic cells, issued December 2010.
- 7,812,353 - Front and backside processed thin film electronic devices, issued October 2010.
- 7,777,290 - PIN diodes for photodetection and high-speed, high-resolution image sensing, issued August 2010.
|USPTO Published Applications
- 20150270350 - Graphene-on-semiconductor substrates for analog electronics, published September 2015.
- 20150129911 - Strain tunable light emitting diodes with germanium p-i-n heterojunctions, published May 2015.
- 20140239201 - Anisotropic conducting films for electromagnetic radiation applications, published August 2014.
- 20140209977 - Doped and strained flexible thin-film transistors, published July 2014.
Control of three-dimensional island growth with mechanically responsive single-crystal nanomembrane substrates. Kim-Lee HJ, Savage DE, Ritz CS, Lagally MG, Turner KT. Phys Rev Lett. 2009 Jun 5;102(22):226103. Epub 2009 Jun 5.
Influence of surface chemical modification on charge transportproperties in ultrathin silicon membranes. Scott SA, Peng W, Kiefer AM, Jiang H, Knezevic I, Savage DE, Eriksson MA, Lagally MG. ACS Nano. 2009 Jul 28;3(7):1683-92. doi: 10.1021/nn9000947. Epub 2009 Jun 5.
Quantum confinement, surface roughness, and the conduction band structure of ultrathin silicon membranes. Chen F, Ramayya EB, Euaruksakul C, Himpsel FJ, Celler GK, Ding B, Knezevic I, Lagally MG. ACS Nano. 2010 Apr 27;4(4):2466-74. doi: 10.1021/nn100275z.
Mechano-electronic superlattices in silicon nanoribbons. Huang M, Ritz CS, Novakovic B, Yu D, Zhang Y, Flack F, Savage DE, Evans PG, Knezevic I, Liu F, Lagally MG. ACS Nano. 2009 Mar 24;3(3):721-7. doi: 10.1021/nn8008883.
|Recent Artistic Works
- Tohoku University, Miyagi, Japan
- Soitec, USA, Peabody, MA
- Rutgers State University
- RHEED, Reflection High-Energy Electron Diffraction and RHEELS, Reflection High-Energy Electron Loss Spectroscopy
- LEEM, Low Energy Electron Microscope
- RDS, Reflectance Difference Spectroscopy
||Materials Science and Engineering
|Address Line 1
||1109 Engineering Research Building
|Address Line 2
||1500 Engineering Drive
||B.S., Pennsylvania State University, Physics, 1963
||M.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison, Physics, 1965
||Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison, Physics, 1968
|Technologies Available for Licensing
||Methods and Devices for Precisely Dispensing Microvolumes of Fluids
Plasma-Enhanced Functionalization of Carbon-Containing Substrates
Carbon Nanotube Schottky Barrier Photovoltaic Device
Method for Countering Lattice Mismatch Between Different Semiconductor Materials
Deposition of Samples and Sample Matrix for Enhanced Sensitivity of MALDI Mass Spectrometry
Plasma-Enhanced Functionalization of Inorganic Oxide Surfaces
Improved Fabrication of Strained Silicon Multilayer Structures
PIN Diodes for Fast Photodetection, and High-Speed, High-Resolution Imaging and Sensing
Efficient and Economical Graphite-Based Photovoltaic Cells
Silicon Nanomembrane Thermoelectric Materials and Devices